Day 9 in Ghana: Snakes, Sign Language & Learning to Live Like a Local 🇬🇭

 

Today has genuinely been amazing although it certainly didn’t start that way. ðŸ˜…

We got up, had breakfast and made our usual walk down through the village towards the school. After being away for the weekend, the children were naturally very excited to see everyone again. As always, we had little hands reaching for ours as they walked alongside us, and we spent the journey chatting about the weekend and some of the things we’d seen. The weekend had definitely caught up on us and Monday started very tired for us all. 

When we reached the school, though, there was suddenly a huge commotion.

We quickly realised there was a venomous snake right beside the school. One of the local elders had come over with a stick, while some of the children were throwing rocks trying to help kill it. I won’t lie, me being me, I couldn’t watch. My instinct was to feel awful for the snake, I wanted to try relocate it, but I understand and the alternative of children being bit is unimaginable - so I walked away.

But it’s another example of having to understand life here through a completely different lens. At home, we’d probably call someone to safely remove it. Here, that simply isn’t an option. With so many children around and limited access to urgent medical treatment, leaving a dangerous snake beside a school isn’t a risk they can take. I understood why they were doing it, even if I couldn’t bring myself to watch.


Thankfully, after that slightly dramatic start, we got into the classroom!

These children never stop amazing me ❤️

We began with our usual times-table recap, and honestly, the children continue to blow me away. They are so eager to learn and incredibly capable when they’re given the opportunity.

Sometimes there’s a language barrier, and Reuben, Alfred or Stephen will step in and explain what we’re teaching in the children’s local language. It’s lovely to watch because you can almost see the moment something clicks. Once they’ve grasped what we’re asking, they’re off. Their hunger to learn is really inspiring. 


This week we decided to introduce division. I wasn’t sure how they’d manage with the concept, particularly given the mixed ages in the classroom, so we kept it visual and used a number line, beginning with simple division using twos and threes.

They absolutely smashed it.

It’s funny because some of the smallest moments here are the ones that fill your heart the most. Watching a child suddenly understand something you’ve taught them and seeing how proud they are when they get the answer right is one of them.

A little bit of sign language ðŸ¤Ÿ❤️

After maths, we changed things up completely and taught the children some sign language.

This was probably one of my favourite parts of the morning. Because it was so visual and involved movement, even some of the younger children could join in. They were completely engaged and, once again, picked it up ridiculously quickly.

We’re working towards teaching them a full song using the signs, so hopefully tomorrow we can get a video of them doing the whole thing together. I think that might be one of those memories I keep forever, if we can grasp it that is! 


Apparently I can’t wash clothes ðŸ˜‚

The afternoon was much more about spending time within the community and attempting to embrace everyday Ghanaian life.

Washing clothes here is very different from throwing everything into a washing machine and pressing a button. A lot of the washing we’ve seen is done by hand in buckets of soapy water, so naturally I decided I needed to have a go.

Bucket filled. Washing in. Confidence high.

Turns out, I’m rubbish at it. ðŸ˜‚

It is SO much harder than it looks.

Thankfully, twins Louisa and Melissa spotted my pathetic attempt and came over to rescue me. They sat beside me and showed me exactly what to do, rubbing the fabric firmly between your knuckles where the marks are, properly scrubbing it, rinsing it, wringing it out and then hanging everything up to dry.

I’m still not entirely convinced anything is actually clean, but it smells significantly better, so I’m counting that as a win.

It was another one of those gorgeous little moments though. I’m supposed to have come here to teach, yet every single day these children end up teaching me something too.


Back to the wound clinic

We also spent some time at the wound clinic again today, which was eventful as always. It’s becoming another part of the experience that really puts things into perspective seeing the realities of healthcare, injuries and access to treatment here compared with what we automatically expect at home.

One thing I’ve really noticed is how everybody looks after everybody. One of our fellow volunteers has unfortunately been quite poorly, and without anyone really needing to organise it, everyone naturally chips in. Someone checks on them, someone helps with something they’ve missed, someone makes sure they’ve eaten.

There’s a real sense of community here that extends beyond the local people and into the volunteers too.

I may need to be banned from buying fabric…

We also wandered back to visit one of the local men who makes clothes, and this is where I have apparently lost all financial self-control. ðŸ˜‚ I am obsessed with the Ghanaian fabrics.

The colours, patterns and prints are absolutely beautiful and completely different to what I’d normally find back in the UK. You choose your fabric, he measures you there and then, you tell him roughly what you’d like… and somehow you’re told to come back the next day to collect something completely handmade to fit you.

It’s incredible.

I have now ordered two pairs of dungarees, two dresses and two skirt-and-top sets.

Anna has officially imposed a spending cap. ðŸ˜‚
 

But I genuinely intend to wear them when I’m back home. I love that every piece will have a story attached to it handmade here in the village by someone I’ve actually met rather than something picked from a rail in a shop. At this point, I’d quite happily pack the tailor into my suitcase and bring him back to England too.

Ending the day together ❤️

Tonight we got dressed up and headed back down to Tina’s for food, before finishing the evening at the local pool bar.

These evenings are becoming some of my favourite parts of the experience too. Nothing particularly extravagant happens ….we play pool, sit together, laugh and talk but we’re all getting to know each other properly now.

The medical volunteers share what’s happened in their day, we talk about what’s happened at school, everyone swaps stories, and you gradually learn more about the people you’re sharing this experience with.

It feels strange to think that not long ago most of us were complete strangers.

Now there’s this little community forming within a community.


Today had everything from a venomous snake and teaching division to sign language, wound care, being taught how to hand-wash my own clothes, buying far too many handmade outfits and ending the night playing pool with people who are quickly becoming friends.

Ghana somehow manages to make even an ordinary Monday feel anything but ordinary. ðŸ‡¬ðŸ‡­❤️


Thank you to everyone who has donated already, I really appriciate your support. If you would like to donate or even just share the link, please find it below.



Comments

Popular Posts