Day 2 - Community Tour
Today’s experience has been one I’ll remember for a very long time. 

This morning we were taken on a tour of the community where we’re staying. Seeing everyday life here has been incredibly humbling. Many families make the very best of limited resources, yet there is such a strong sense of community, resilience and warmth. Everywhere we walked, children came running over to say hello. They absolutely love meeting visitors, asking for cuddles, high fives, and, of course… stickers! 

We then visited the PEACE Home, a centre supporting both children and adults with additional needs. I’ll admit, I wasn’t expecting to find specialist provision here, so it was amazing to see what has been created despite limited resources.
Some of the stories behind the people they support were heartbreaking, but what stood out most was the dedication of the staff. They provide therapy, education, care and, most importantly, a place where people are valued. They even have a garden where they grow their own fruit and vegetables, with the children helping to care for the crops. It was such a lovely example of independence, life skills and community.
It touched me so much that I’ve asked if I can spend a full day there next week, even though it isn’t part of our official volunteer placement. I want to learn from them and help however I can.
Walking around the centre also highlighted how much more could be achieved with extra funding. They have dreams for improving their physiotherapy provision and equipment, and I’m already hoping that the fundraising we do back home might help us sponsor some of the things they desperately need.
We finished the day volunteering at the free wound clinic, providing clean water and basic wound care. Many of the children spend most of their day barefoot, so cuts and grazes are incredibly common and often struggle to heal in the heat and dusty conditions.
What struck me most, though, wasn’t just the medical side. Many children came as much for the conversation, the reassurance, and a sticker for being brave as they did for treatment. Sometimes a smile, a cuddle and making a child feel seen can be just as important.
Every day here is reminding me that while resources can be limited, kindness never has to be.
Thank you to everyone who has already donated or shared my fundraiser. Every single pound really can make a tangible difference. This journey is changing me, and I can’t wait to show you more over the coming days. 












Comments
Post a Comment